Thursday 19 October 2023

Silmarils: Welcome to America (and welcome back!)

Digging through a box of old CDs recently, I came across a copy of the debut album by Silmarils, a

self-titled album released in ’95. they were from the Paris area, and if I remember it right, they gave a decent rock/rap crossover thing. I’d not listened to it in years, it had kind of fallen through the cracks and I'd kind of forgotten the details of what it sounded like, but I knew I must have liked it as I’d held on to it since.

So it was time I gave it a blast again.

 

On first impression, it’s very much of its era, funk metal in the style of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Faith No More, and at its best Rage Against The Machine but perhaps moving closer to rap. Pretty good, and the kind of stuff I was probably listening to back then quite a lot. Je ne jure de rien hits the spot, Cours vite and Mackina hit singles that probably deserved to be. It’s a collection that has its charms, Just be True illustrating the glorious thing Mano Negro might have been if they’d had some metal wallop behind them.


In short, I was glad I'd held on to it.

 

I remember seeing their album all over the place at the time, even here in the UK so there must have been some hope they’d make more of an impression. They were signed to EastWest Records who would have had the budget. But it seemed that could have been the end of the story. One album with a push behind it that didn’t ignite commercially and a curtain comes down.

 

But no. I might not have followed what they were up to from then, amid the deluge of work and other releases I took my eye off them. But they persisted and released another four albums up to 2003, including a live album featuring a Beastie Boys cover. A search online, while I was listening to their debut album, showed me I’ve got some homework to catch up with.

 

And there was better news. Not only is there a significant back catalogue, their three studio albums that were originally on EastWest  - their debut,  1997’s Original Karma and 2000’s Vegas ’76 were re-issued on coloured vinyl this summer.

 

Better yet, Silmarils are still a going concern. A single Welcome to America was released in April this year. Older maybe, wiser perhaps, but absolutely rocking for sure. They’ve been playing festivals over the summer including the Vieilles Charrues and Hellfest, and have a new album out shortly.

 

Looks like I’ve picked the right time to catch up.




No comments:

Post a Comment